Experience since 1978 has included the review of up to 500 property assessments each year including negotiations with BC Assessment and attending Appeal Board hearings.
Disputes arise between landlord and tenants, partners and others where rents and values can not be agreed upon. Mr. Austin, with his Chartered Arbitrator designation and vast experience as an expert witness, representing one side or the other. He has been the arbitrator in many rental or strata disputes.
Many landlords and tenants need evidence to support their claim for an increased or decreased rent upon the renewal or turnover of a lease. For many years, both short form (in the form of a lease chart) or a full appraisal prepared by Mr. Austin, have assisted parties in negotiating a rental both feel is market rate.
Austin Real Estate Consultants cover most types of real property, ranging from vacant land to major developed complexes for clients that include many of British Columbia's and Canada's largest companies, various levels of Government, and Financial Institutions. The company has been retained by many major landowners and law firms to assist them with their assessment appeals, expropriation, rental disputes, and other legal matters.
Feasibility and Due Diligence
Austin Real Estate Consultants also performs research and feasibility analysis for:
- developers investigating the potential for development sites and
- purchasers with regard to the viability of investment proposals. The company has been contracted by several clients to investigate problem projects.
The parent company has been active in the management of a shopping centre from inception including the arranging for tenant set up and move in. The company has also been active in the management of an office building and over 20 apartment buildings, with as many as 100 units, at one point in time.
The company has been the owner of several land parcels. The company has steered projects through to the building permit stage, overseeing renovation, conversion, and refurbishment of over 25 multifamily properties.
Peter Austin’s Teaching assignments include Appraisal at UBC for the Diploma course, Property management course at Langara and guest speaker for various professional organisations including the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board and BC Central Credit Union. He has also organised and spoken at several Property Tax Seminars. He has mentored several candidate appraisers over the years.
1973 - 1975
|Knowlton Realty - industrial, commercial, ICI sales and leasing|
1975 - 2003
|Appraisal & consulting, shopping centre leasing, initially as a sole practitioner, then forming Burgess, Austin & Associates in 1978|
2004 - present
|Principal - Austin Real Estate Consultants|
Degrees and Designations
- Fellow - Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (FRICS)
- Member of the Appraisal Institute of Canada (AACI)
- Chartered Arbitrator (C. Arb)
- Bachelor of Science (Estate Management) (B. Sc)
|Canadian Property Tax Association||
BC Chapter chair 2005-2011; Executive member 2022 to present
National Committee Member 1997 – 2002
National President 2000
|BC Arbitration and Mediation Institute||Provincial Board Member 2011 – current|
|Greater Vancouver Apartment Owners Association||Director 1990 - 1994|
|Int. Council of Shopping Centres||West Canadian Committee 1991 – 1993|
|Little Mountain Residential Care & Housing Society||Director 1984 - 1989|
|Strata council||Summerhill Court Home Owners Assoc Mobile, Alabama 2000-2022|
|Member Working committee||VR563 renovation project, Vancouver 2017|
|Civil Resolution Tribunal||Working committee Strata 2018|
|Vancouver Selects||President of the District Soccer Club|
- Whistler and Pemberton Assessed Values
- 2023 Assessment Update
- 2023 Property Assessment Value Changes
- Expected Assessed Value Changes In 2023
- Potential Property Tax Relief For Local Businesses
- Reasons For Landlords To Appeal Their Property Assessments
- Developers need to Appeal the Additional School Tax (AST)
- 2022 Property Assessment Value Changes
- Misconceptions within the Property Assessment Process
- Additional School Tax Exemption for Developers
- Minimizing Property Tax on Development Land
- Assessment Of Residential Sites Under Construction
- Should Homebuilders Be Paying Additional School Tax?
- Development Sites: Is The Additional School Tax Applicable?
- Vancouver Vacancy Tax
- Resolving Disputes - A New Approach
- BC Foreign Investors Tax
- NAIOP Industrial Panel
- Opportunities for Brokers
- How are School Taxes Calculated? | doc