6 Reasons Landlords and Property Managers Should Challenge Property Assessments
Values determined by BC Assessment are created using mass appraisal techniques. Assessments must be equitable to those of other similar properties in the area. Assessed value is often NOT equal to market value.
The benefits of reviewing the Assessed values:
- Establishing whether the value and classification are fair and equitable.
- Exhibiting prudent and responsible property management.
- Ensuring the tenant that they are paying the least amount of tax possible.
- Satisfying a potential fiduciary responsibility.
- Making the property more leasable upon tenant turnover (lower operating costs).
- Having documentation available if a tenant challenges the assessed value.
Satisfied tenants are the foundation of efficient and profitable property management. To foster quality landlord/tenant relations, the prudent manager provides tenants with comprehensive and transparent services, including information about property tax. Being accountable to tenants and demonstrating due diligence to ensure property taxes are minimized ensures mutual fiscal benefit and contributes goodwill to the working relationship. The review process is not as simple as it may seem. Property tax consultants can help you navigate through the labyrinth.
Peter Austin, BSc., AACI, CArb.
- Vancouver Vacancy Tax
- 2018 Property Assessment Value Changes
- Misconceptions within the Property Assessment Process
- Mayor's Council Proposal for Funding Transit
- Resolving Disputes - A New Approach
- Mixed Use Properties - Potential reclassification for Property Taxation
- Classification of Mixed Use Properties September 2016 Update
- Possible Effects of FIT on Assessments
- BC Foreign Investors Tax
- NAIOP Industrial Panel
- Classification of Mixed Use Sites - Part 2
- Opportunities for Brokers
- Valuation of Properties Under Construction
- Is Assessed Value Equal to Market Value?
- Civil Resolution Tribunal Update - October 2014
- Assessment Appeal Board Changes Classification for Mixed Use Development Sites
- Strata Civil Resolution Tribunal Update
- Reviewing Appraisals - Download
- Resolving a Rental Dispute
- How are School Taxes Calculated? | doc